September 18, 2009

A couple of things to try.

A couple of bits of knowledge that are making life easier/friendlier/tastier/cheaper:

1) Stovetop Popcorn
The packaged microwave stuff makes something as benign as popped corn unhealthy. It's pre-flavored and, no matter what I do, it burns. Whether you burn it or not, you've still got about forty kernels that haven't popped at the bottom of the bag. And then, of course, there's the packaging. To avoid these things, I bought some popcorn kernels from the bulk bin at my local fancy-pants grocer and, with this method, popped all but six kernels without burning a single piece of popcorn. Flavored it with sea salt and pepper medley at the request of my housemates, although I was hoping to do cinnamon sugar. So many healthy and delicious flavor possibilities!!

2) I came across this instructable yesterday and tried it with my double-edged safety razor. As a result, a blade I was getting ready to throw out it worked like new. Same principle as a leather strop with straight razors of old, but using jeans instead. Take your razor and draw the blades backwards about ten times down about half the length of a leg. (Maybe use an old pair, since doing this might wear them down.) Do ten more backward strokes up the leg. And that's it. Also, to extend the life of razor blades, make sure they aren't wet when they're not being used. Blow the water out from the cartridge or open up the top of the safety razor and leave it somewhere dry.

3) I made a big pot of couscous for dinner a few nights ago and have been enjoying the leftovers since. Eating cold grains for breakfast is wonderfully easy and hearty and delicious and they'll make a great side for any meal. A tip I picked up from Food Matters.

4) I live with a couple of people who are OBSESSED with seltzer and buy the canned stuff regularly. This led me to investigate home carbonation systems. Again, initial investment is higher, but in the long term, saves money and reduces waste. For example, this. If you're going to be drinking seltzer for the rest of your life, worth the $90 and CO2 cartridges. To broaden this point, consider any food habits or other routines that cost you money and create waste on a regular basis. Now go on to Google and see if you can find an alternative.

In the whispy words of Michael Jackson, "make that change."

No comments:

Post a Comment