March 20, 2009

Cold Showers: Not as bad as you think.

I was reading about natural shampoos and remembered later that someone had mentioned cold showers in passing. Out of curiosity, I did a Google search, which is what first led me to EarthClinic.

While the thought of showering with cold water was really unattractive initially, I read up on some of the benefits. Cold showers, unlike warm ones, encourage your body to produce its own heat and improve blood circulation, especially to the skin. It is more energizing than a warm shower, although a lot of people reported that they were sleeping better after switching to cold showers. Some people have reported that rashes and other skin issues went away after switching to cold showers. Others claimed that it improved their immune systems. The most fascinating reports were from people who suffer from depression and anxiety who say that a cold shower works more effectively and instantaneously than any drugs they've been prescribed. It seems like cold showers do have an effect on your nervous system and brain chemicals. Not heating the water reduces your carbon footprint and you're less likely to veg out and waste water with a cold shower. Not heating the water also reduces your utility bill.

In the experimental spirit that has taken over my life, I decided to give cold showers a try. I have really bad circulation, some skin problems, and have been known to get a little anxious from time to time. It was shocking initially; occasionally, my body was forced to take really deep breaths. It was unpleasantly cold, but with a little bit of time and massaging, it became less uncomfortable. I stayed in for about ten minutes, doing my "no 'poo" experiments and washing.

The thing I liked most about the cold shower experience was getting out, but not for the reason you think. When you get out of a relaxing, warm shower, the warm water on your body cools while the warm stuff evaporates and the vapors around you condensate. Something like that. It's cold is what I'm trying to say. You rush to towel yourself off and get into some warm clothes. When I get out of a cold shower, I was toasty warm. I dried off slowly and comfortably and put on my robe, which was quickly filled with the heat radiating from my body. Your shower has to be longer than three minutes for this warming to take effect because it has a lot to do with improved circulation.

I won't be continuing with exclusively cold showers because my new, water-only, hair washing method calls for temperature changes. I've also read that a lot of people just end their warm showers with a few cold minutes for the benefits of circulation and skin, which is what this "no 'poo" method calls for as well. I have a feeling that transitioning from warm to cold will be more difficult than taking the plunge, but I'll report back in more detail once I've tried.

COLD SHOWERS SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN IF YOU'RE MENSTRUATING OR SICK. A cold shower is dangerous when your body is weakened. If you decide to take a cold shower, start by exposing your extremities to the temperature before getting to your core. Sudden temperature changes to your core can be dangerous like hypothermia. I start with my feet and legs while I brush my teeth and follow with my wrists (exposed circulation points) before taking the plunge.

No comments:

Post a Comment