March 20, 2009

Nose Breathing

This is kind of a mini-routine, but it has led to a bit of a change.

There is a lot of information out there about the superiority of nasal breathing to mouth breathing. Your nose regulates the air passing in and out of your body, warming, filtering, and dehumidifying it. Breathing through your nostrils allows your lungs to absorb 10-20% more oxygen than when you breathe through your mouth. And mouth breathing can cause or exacerbate asthma, high blood pressure, heart disease, and, uhh, snoring.

Now I'm no mouth-breather, but there are times that I don't really have any control over how air is going in and out of my body. When I sleep, for example. After reading about people using Chin-Up Strips to keep their mouths closed while they sleep, I've been taping my mouth shut before I go to sleep (not tight; just enough to keep my lips from popping open) and have been sleeping more soundly since. I haven't put many controls on any of the changes I've been making, so I can't be sure about the effectiveness of any single method, but I think that the first night I used the tape was a better night of sleep, even before I started taking ACV internally.

If you have trouble sleeping, snore, wake up with crap-mouth, or have a more serious problem like asthma, give it a try.

1 comment:

  1. I've got to say, clear nasal passageways are a wonderful thing. I was never aware of how much I used to breath through my mouth until I got my jaw surgery. The surgery took a lot of pressure off of my sinuses, and since then, I can breath so much clearer. I never even knew there was a problem until it was fixed. I no longer get sinus infections, and I don't wake up with a sore throat from breathing in cold air through my mouth all night. To anyone who has a problem like this (deviated septum, etc.): Get it fixed! You will be so glad you did.

    ReplyDelete