March 20, 2009

Face Care Simplified

Facial care products cater to a vast array of specific consumer needs: sensitive skin, anti-wrinkle, acne reducing, pore refining; the list goes on. I was yet to find a commercial product that works for me and, as my cleansers, washes, toners, creams, and ointments were getting down to their last few applications, I dreaded going shopping for a new series of expensive products, which were likely to leave me disappointed again.

My skin is fairly unusual. I have really defined pores, which mean chicken-skin spots on my arms and legs, and clogged pores, blackheads, whiteheads, zits, and general roughness on my face. Until recently, I was buying anti-acne products thinking that the cause of my skin problems was primarily chemical rather than physical: bacteria, hormones, grease production, what have you. But I've realized, years of unsolved skin and hundreds of dollars later, that it's more about the size of my pores and their tendency to get clogged with dirt, debris, oils, etc. I was investigating pore-refining washes, toners, and moisturizers before my "no 'poo" adventure led me to EarthClinic, where I have been reading about the many, many uses of simple household products to cure various ailments.

I still don't understand how exactly the site is organized. It's driven largely by user input and you can browse it by looking for a certain ingredient or a specific ailment. Some pages have concrete information published by the site; others are just compilations of people's experiences, experiments, successes, and failures.

In any case, I've found a few tricks for facial care, all of which I tried today.

The first is using baking soda as a face wash. It removes facial grease and exfoliates gently. I used really warm water to rinse and thoroughly wet my face in hopes that open pores would react more effectively to washing. I made a small mound of baking soda in one of my palms, added enough water to make it into a paste, and massaged it into my skin. Keep it off your lips if you don't want to taste baking soda afterward and don't get it too close to your eyes. When you feel sufficiently exfoliated, rinse it off. I noticed a significant difference in my skin after one wash: my pores looked smaller and my face felt smoother.

Another thing that acne-prone people recommend washing your face with is honey. You might wonder "how the hell," but it ended up being less messy than I expected. You can either dilute it a little with warm water, rub it all over your face, and rinse it off, or you can apply a thin layer over your whole face, leave it on for ten minutes, and wash it off with warm water. I tried the latter, and not only was it the most delicious facial mask I've ever used, but it washed off really easily. Honey is naturally antibacterial and antiseptic, which presumably prevents acne. It is relatively acidic, which might balance the effects of the baking soda a little. Aside from these characteristics, I have no idea what the benefits are. After the honey mask though, my skin continued to feel good.

In the massive list of uses for apple cider vinegar, I found a lot of people using it as a toner and taking it internally, which benefits your skin as well as other functions and organs. I took my first two doses of apple cider vinegar today (one tablespoon of vinegar diluted in two cups of water. I add a spoonful of honey to improve the taste.) and applied undiluted apple cider vinegar to the acne prone areas of my face—cheeks, forehead, temples, and jawline—with a cotton swab. It burned initially but the unpleasant sensation went away after a few minutes. If it's too abrasive, you can water it down. People claim that they apply apple cider vinegar to zits before going to sleep and wake up to find them gone without a trace. We'll see how that goes.

These processes can be pretty drying, but no more than their commercial counterparts. I'm waiting for a pound of shea butter to arrive in the mail, which I bought for my lips but is a good natural moisturizer for faces, especially for people with acne problems. Until then, I might use some commercial moisturizers that I have left over.

It's awesome when your all-natural cosmetic ingredients are cheap and come in bulk. I bought a four pound box of baking soda for $2.79 and a gallon of apple cider vinegar for $3.99 today. These are going to last me a while and I can use them to solve an endless variety of problems. Bath scum? Not a problem. Yeast infection? How about a vinegar douche. (That takes a brave and desperate woman.) Heartburn? Don't mind if I do. High cholesterol? Hit me with the ACV.

No comments:

Post a Comment